OverviewFor the 2023-2024 school year, the Morris Hills Regional District will make up to 15 seats available (depending on availability) district-wide for incoming freshmen residing in one of the four sending districts (Denville, Rockaway Borough, Rockaway Township, and Wharton) who wish to transfer to Morris Hills or Morris Knolls. The program is not available for students who already attend Morris Hills or Morris Knolls or for students who do not live in one of the four sending communities.
- Incoming freshmen will have the opportunity to apply for one of these "choice" seats.
- In order to apply, students and parents/guardians must fill out the In-District Lottery application (which will be available via the tab on the left on 1/1/23) prior to February 1st of their eighth-grade year. Please note that the application deadline for Fall 2023 is earlier than it has been in previous years: applications must be submitted by February 1st. Students must complete the high school registration process by the end of January 2023 in order to be eligible for the Choice lottery.
- If more students apply than there are seats available, a lottery will be conducted to determine which applicants will receive the available seats and which will be placed on a rank-ordered waitlist.
- If fewer applicants apply than there are seats available, those seats will remain available on a first-come, first-served basis until the Fall 2023 master schedule has been finalized (usually mid-August).
- Students who opt to accept the school choice offer will not be able to return to the high school designated by their residence. Therefore, families should carefully weigh all considerations before deciding to accept a choice seat.
The application for Fall 2023 will be available on January 1, 2023. Please make sure you have registered with the district prior to submitting a lottery application. Details about registration can be found here.
For more information on the Intra-District Lottery Program, please contact:Dr. Nisha Zoeller - Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction973-664-2293