OverviewIn 2010, Governor Christie signed into law the School Choice Act, which permits public school students to attend public schools outside their resident district. Morris Hills Regional District was approved to accept students from out of district in 2011.
- Students who have attended their local public school for the entire prior academic year are eligible to apply for School Choice.
- Parochial/private school students, home-schooled students, and students attending choice programs in other districts may be considered, depending upon space availability after eligible Tier 1 public school students have completed the application process.
- Students who live within 20 miles of Morris Hills Regional can obtain either transportation or aid-in-lieu from their resident district.Decisions about transportation are made solely by the resident district.
- Parents are responsible for transporting students who live over 20 miles from Morris Hills Regional.
- There are no tuition costs associated with School Choice.
Information Sessions for Students Entering in the 2021-2022 School Year:Due to existing restrictions regarding in-person gatherings, we will be unable to host in-person Information Sessions this year. Instead, we will offer on-demand videos with information about our high school programming, the Magnet Program, and the IB Program. In addition, we will host several Webinars specifically about the admissions process that will have a Q&A component. The content of the webinars assumes that applicants have watched the on-demand videos. Advance registration for the webinars is required.Informational Videos (Please view these prior to attending a Webinar)Webinar Registration (click on the link to register)
- School Choice Brochure for 2021-2022
- NJSIAA Rules for Choice Students
- Magnet and IB Prerequisites
- MHRD School Choice Program Profile for 2021-2022
- Intent to Participate Form for 2021-22 - Please note: Out-of-District students who are not enrolled in their resident district (private/parochial school students, home-schooled students, students attending a choice district or charter school, etc.) do not need to submit an Intent to Participate form.
- Magnet or IB Application Instructions for 2021-2022
- Tuesday, October 6, 2020
- Session 1, 7 PM to 8 PM, In-District Applicants only (applicants who live in Denville, Rockaway Borough, Rockaway Township, or Wharton)
- Session 2, 8 PM to 9 PM, Out-of-District Applicants only (applicants who DO NOT LIVE in Denville, Rockaway Borough, Rockaway Township, or Wharton)
For more information on the Out-of-District Choice Program, please contact:Dr. Nisha Zoeller - Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction973-664-2293
- Thursday, October 22, 2020
- Session 1, 7 PM to 8 PM, Out-of-District Applicants only (applicants who DO NOT LIVE in Denville, Rockaway Borough, Rockaway Township, or Wharton)
- Session 2, 8 PM to 9 PM, In-District Applicants only (applicants who live in Denville, Rockaway Borough, Rockaway Township, or Wharton)