At Morris Hills High School, the World Language Department hopes to prepare our students for a “Global Neighborhood.” Competence in more than one language prepares students to achieve the following:
- Look beyond our borders and open our mind to new ideas and bodies of knowledge.
- Communicate with people in other cultures in a variety of settings.
- Participate in the global community and marketplace.
- Better understand our own culture and language in relation to others.
- Better perform on standardized tests such as the SAT and ACT.
To study another language is to gain an especially rich preparation for the future. It is difficult to imagine a job, a profession, a career, or a leisure activity in the 21st century that will not be enhanced by the ability to communicate efficiently and sensitively with others. Possession of the linguistic and cultural insights that comes with world language study will be a requisite for the good life as citizens in the world-wide neighborhood.