MHRD-Summer 2020 Extended School Year
The MHRD Special Services Extended School Year will run Monday-Friday, July 6, 2020 through July 31, 2020 from 8am-12pm, and will be held virtually.
The purpose of ESY services for students with disabilities is to maintain identified skills to prevent or avoid substantial loss of previously acquired or emerging skills or behavior.
The need for ESY services will be discussed at an IEP meeting; traditionally the Annual Review. The IEP team determines the need for services based on (but not limited to) the following criteria:
- Regression/Recoupment analysis-the amount of regression a student experiences as a result of an interruption in educational services with the amount of time required to regain the prior level of skill
- Ability of the student to interact with nondisabled peers
- Emerging skills/breakthrough opportunities - an interruption in educational services causing significant difficulties for a student who is learning a key skill
- Interfering behavior - the child's behavior in relation to interference with his or her ability to benefit from special education services
- Nature and/or severity of disability