• Options for School Choice and Switching Schools 
    The chart below outlines options for students who are interested in attending either Morris Hills or Morris Knolls and have unique circumstances.  
    If your circumstance is not listed below, please contact Dr. Zoeller’s office at 973-664-2293 or via email at nzoeller@mhrd.org.
    Situation Options
    The student lives outside of Denville, Rockaway Borough, Rockaway Township, or Wharton and wants to attend MHRD.
    The student can apply to attend through the Inter-District School Choice Program; deadlines are set by the state and are firm. www.mhrd.org (Click on School Choice Programs Quick Link)
    The student lives in-district and wants to switch schools; the student is not physically moving to another address.
    -Incoming 9th graders can file an Intra-District School Choice lottery application when they are in 8th grade (up to 15 seats available)-transportation guaranteed. Applications are available online at www.mhrd.org beginning January 1. No reasons are required.
    -All other students have to write to the Superintendent requesting the switch with a list of reasons—this is NOT School Choice and transportation may not be provided. A decision will be made by the Superintendent after consultation with building administration.   
    The student lives in-district and moves to another in-district location that would require switching schools. The student can request to stay at his or her current school by writing to the Superintendent; transportation is not guaranteed. This is NOT School Choice. A decision will be made by the Superintendent after consultation with building administration. 
    The student lives in-district and moves to an out-of-district location.

    The student may stay through the end of the school year in which he or she moves, with the permission of the building administration. If the student wishes to stay beyond the current school year, he or she must file an Inter-District School Choice application by the state deadline in order to be considered for admission.  Students who move after the School Choice deadline may apply through a paper application which is available through the School Counseling Office.  While current MHRD students who have moved out of district receive preference in the School Choice process, admission is based on State seat availability and is not guaranteed.  If no seats are available, the student must withdraw at the end of the current school year.

    Students currently in Grade 12 who move after the choice deadline can also be considered through the senior privilege option by writing to the Superintendent of Schools.

    No transportation is offered by MHRD once a student moves out of district; students must contact their new resident district for transportation options. 

    The student is a Magnet, IB, or AVID student and drops out of the program.
    Students can remain in their current school with the permission of the principal or they can go back to the high school designated by their residence (their choice). Out-of-district choice students can choose to remain in the general program of their current MHRD school.