National English Honor Society
The Morris Hills Regional District offers a chapter of Sigma Tau Delta National English Honor Society in both Morris Hills High School and Morris Knolls High School. This organization seeks to award distinction upon high school students for their accomplishments in the field of English and for their overall academic achievement. Furthermore, Sigma Tau Delta seeks to encourage interest in literature and the study of language, promote exemplary character and good fellowship among members, and foster literacy throughout all disciplines.
The requirements for membership in the National English Honor Society are listed below:
- Candidates must be in their junior year and in attendance at the school the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered.
- Candidates must have a minimum un-weighted 90 average in their current English class to date.
- Candidates must have a minimum 90 average in each of their prior core English classes.
- Candidates must have taken at least two English classes at the honors level.
- Candidates must be in good, academic standing.
- Candidates must complete the required essay which will be reviewed by a chapter advisor and used to determine acceptance into the society. The essay must be well-written, free of errors, and demonstrate their best work.
- Candidates plan on continued study in English or a related field such as education, journalism, film, or broadcasting.
- Candidates are willing to volunteer their time to organize and present opportunities that promote literacy across the curriculum and service the school community.
- Candidates are willing to participate in fundraising events.
Nicole Sanchez email@example.com